Hero MotoCorp unveiled India’s first electric-serial-hybrid scooter from India. Hero Leap first appeared as a prototype at the 2012 Auto Expo and now it’s return in its pre-production form just before the Auto Expo 2014.
Hero Leap is powered by Lithium-ion batteries and an 8kW electric traction motor. Hero eliminate the biggest problem with electric vehicles i.e limited range. Hero Leap has all new 124 cc engine. Normally, the Leap would be recharged by plugging into a wall outlet, but if that isn’t available, the 3-liter fuel tank and the range extender of the Leap gives it four times the range of batteries alone, and the petrol of course can be quickly refilled.
Hero Leap comes with sleek aerodynamic styling, all LED lighting systems, Permanent magnet AC (PMAC) traction motor that powers the Leap spins out maximum torque of more than 60 Nm from a standstill, so this advanced scooter requires neither a clutch nor a transmission.
The top speed of the Hero Leap is 100 kmph when running with the range extender.
Hero Leap Features
- Sleek aerodynamic styling and all-LED lighting system
- Strong steel tubular frame, with the battery and traction motor positioned for a low center of gravity enabling better handling and control under all conditions
- The Permanent magnet AC (PMAC) traction motor that delivers maximum torque of more than 60nm from a standstill
- Near-silent acceleration in full electric operation is better than that of many gasoline scooters
- Final drive through a high-technology toothed belt reinforced with super strength fibre, requires no maintenance or adjustment, and is designed to last for the life of the vehicle
- A compact, balanced single cylinder range extender engine designed to run a single speed with world-class efficiency.
- Advanced fuel injection for low emissions and high efficiency
- Headlight is a bright, high/low LED projector beam design in a single compact unit
Hero Leap Technical Specifications:
|Engine||A serial hybrid scooter powered by lithium-ion batteries and an 8kW electric traction motor with an on-board generator set powered by an extremely efficient all new 124cc engine|
|Transmission||Belt drive, direct from motor to rear wheel|
|Suspension||Front: Telescopic Hydraulic Shock Absorbers
Rear: Unit Swing with spring loaded hydraulic dampers
|Head/ Tail/ Stop/ Position Lamp||LED type|
|Dimension||1884 x 850 x 1162 mm|
|Ground Clearance||140 mm|
|Kerb Weight||140 Kg|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||3 Liters|